PRC Borrowers’ Code
Your Help & Responsibility in caring for the PRC’s collection
Help us prolong the life of PRC resources.
- Handle material with clean hands. Fingerprints are often indelible.
- DO NOT write in resources with pen, pencil, highlighters, etc.
- DO NOT use "post-it"- type notes/flags
- DO NOT turn down page corners to mark your place. The creases will be permanent and, if the paper is brittle, the corner will break away with one fold. Laying a book face down to mark your place weakens the binding and can soil pages. The best way to mark your place is with a slip of paper.
- Bring damaged materials to the attention of the PRC staff for repair before checking out material. PRC staff will note the damage and repair and/or flag it for repair upon return in the ZOHO loan record.
- Minor repair problems can become major ones if they are neglected too long.
- Don't eat or drink while using PRC materials. Food attracts paper- eating insects, and spills cause permanent stains as well as encouraging the growth of mildew.
- A non-damaging way to remove a book from the shelf is to push back slightly the volumes on either side and grasp the desired book at mid-spine. Alternately, place an index finger firmly on the head of the text block and tip the book out. Yanking at the top of the binding eventually ruins the spine covering.
- When photocopying book pages, take care not to wrinkle or crumple pages. If a book is bound so that it resists being pressed flat, don't force it - settle for a less than perfect image of the page you are copying.
- Take notes on a separate sheet of paper. Do not underline or write in library materials.
BORROWERS ARE FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE / LOSS THAT OCCURS WHILE MATERIAL IS CHECKED OUT TO / USED BY THEM.
ALWAYS COMPLETE & USE "TEST KIT CHECKLISTS" PROVIDED
Note: If you find any resource that is damaged or has missing parts, please bring it to the attention of the PRC staff before leaving the PRC. Staff will then be able to document the damage and follow up the previous borrower(s) for costs of repair/ replacement as necessary.
PRC STAFF – Repair now or flag these items for repair upon return with a comment in the ZOHO loan record. Upon return of resources PRC staff will repair or set aside for repair.