PRC Borrowers’ Code
Your Help & Responsibility in caring for the PRC’s collection
Help us prolong the life of PRC resources.
- Handle material with clean hands. Fingerprints are often indelible.
- DO NOT write in resources with pen, pencil, highlighters, etc.
- DO NOT use "post-it"- type notes/flags
- DO NOT turn down page corners to mark your place. The creases will be permanent and, if the paper is brittle, the corner will break away with one fold. Laying a book face down to mark your place weakens the binding and can soil pages. The best way to mark your place is with a slip of paper.
- Bring damaged materials to the attention of the PRC staff for repair before checking out material. PRC staff will note the damage and repair and/or flag it for repair upon return in the ZOHO loan record.
- Minor repair problems can become major ones if they are neglected too long.
- Don't eat or drink while using PRC materials. Food attracts paper- eating insects, and spills cause permanent stains as well as encouraging the growth of mildew.
- A non-damaging way to remove a book from the shelf is to push back slightly the volumes on either side and grasp the desired book at mid-spine. Alternately, place an index finger firmly on the head of the text block and tip the book out. Yanking at the top of the binding eventually ruins the spine covering.
- When photocopying book pages, take care not to wrinkle or crumple pages. If a book is bound so that it resists being pressed flat, don't force it - settle for a less than perfect image of the page you are copying.
- Take notes on a separate sheet of paper. Do not underline or write in library materials.
BORROWERS ARE FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE / LOSS THAT OCCURS WHILE MATERIAL IS CHECKED OUT TO / USED BY THEM.
ALWAYS COMPLETE & USE CHECKLISTS PROVIDED
Note: If you find any resource that is damaged or has missing pages, please bring it to the attention of the PRC staff.
PRC STAFF – Repair now or flag these items for repair upon return with a comment in the ZOHO loan record. Upon return of resources PRC staff will repair or set aside for repair.