Emergency & Crisis Situations
- Emergency Department of local hospital
- Distress Centers: (416) 598-1211 or (416) 486-1456
- The Gerstein Center: (416) 929-5200
- Toronto East General Hospital: Crisis Intervention phone: (416) 469-6204
- Humber River Regional Hospital (formerly York Finch General Hospital) Mental Health Services Crisis phone: (416) 747-3833 After Hours phone: (416) 747-3824
Therapy, Counseling & Psychologists
- For specific referrals contact The College of Psychologists of Ontario: General Phone: 1-800-489-8388 or (416) 961-8817 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.cpo.on.ca
- Center for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH): General Phone: (416) 535-8501 Mood Disorders Clinic (MDC): Ext. 6868 Anxiety Disorders Clinic (ADC): Ext. 6819 Interpersonal Therapy Clinic: Ext. 6868 Women’s Mental Health Program (Consultation and Liaison Services): Ext. 4269 http://www.camh.net/About_CAMH/Guide_to_CAMH/Mental_Health_Programs/index.html
- North York General Hospital (Adult Mental Health Clinic): General Phone: (416) 756-6660 for all mental health services for children and adults: (416) 756-6642 Website: http://www.nygh.on.ca/Default.aspx?cid=1202&lang=1
- Trillium Health Centre (Mental Health Ambulatory Clinic) - Outpatient assessment, consultation and short-term treatment for adults 18 years of age and older who have a serious mental illness General Phone: (416) 521-4006 Website: http://trilliumhealthpartners.ca/patientservices/mentalhealth/Pages/default.aspx
- Alive! Canada - Self help/support groups concerning suicide awareness and prevention for persons 16 years of age and older Crisis phone: (519) 973-4435
- Recovery, Inc. - Self-help mental health program General Phone: (905) 812-7935 or (416) 494-6412 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.recoverycanada.org/
- Toronto Institute for Contemporary Psychoanalysis - For persons seeking the therapeutic benefits of intensive psychoanalytic therapy Free therapy with supervised students is offered General Phone: (416) 288-8060 Website: http://www.ticp.on.ca/
- Toronto Centre for Cognitive Therapy (CBT Clinic) - Brief and long-term cognitive behavioural therapy OHIP-covered clinic: SleepyHead (CBT for insomnia) General Phone: (416) 777-6699 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Register online) Website: www.cbt.ca
- OISE Counseling & Psychoeducational Clinic - Assessment and intervention services for children and adolescents through the SCCP program and counseling services to adults through the Counseling program General Phone: (416) 978-0620 Email: email@example.com Website: http://clinic.oise.utoronto.ca
- York University Counseling & Disability Services: General Phone: (416) 736-5297 Website: http://www.yorku.ca/cds/index.html
- The Medical Clinic for Person Centered Psychotherapy: North York: (416) 229-2399 Etobicoke: (416) 236-1486 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.medicalpsychclinic.org/
Humanistic & Expressive Arts Therapists
For referrals to Humanistic or Arts therapists call: ISIS Canada (416) 539-9728
Services for Women
- Toronto Rape Crisis Center – Multicultural Women Against Rape (TRCCMWAR): General Phone: (416) 597-1171 (General Information & Inquiry) Email: email@example.com (Programa de Mujeres Latinoamericanas) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Donations) Email: email@example.com (Women’s volunteer opportunities) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Bowlathon Information) Email: email@example.com Website: http://trccmwar.ca/
- Women’s Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence Care Center - Affiliated with Women’s College Hospital General Phone: (416) 323-6040 Website: http://www.womenscollegehospital.ca/programs-and-services/sexual-assault-domestic-violence-care-centre/
- National Eating Disorders Center (NEDIC) - General Phone: (416) 340-4156 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.nedic.ca/
- Women’s College Hospital Mental Health Department - General Phone: (416) 323-6010 Website: http://www.womenscollegehospital.ca/
- Keele Street Women’s Group: Affiliated with Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – Toronto branch General Phone: (416) 789-7957 Ext. 282 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.toronto.cmha.ca/ct_services_we_offer/social_opportunities.asp
- Postpartum Adjustment Support Services of Canada (PASS-CAN): General Phone: (905) 844-9009 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Service Association of Toronto (FSAT): General Phone: (416) 595-9230 Service Inquiries/Appointments/Workshop Registration: (416) 595-9618 Service Inquiry Email: email@example.com Inquiries regarding developmental services/the Options program: (416) 971-6326 Ext. 326 Options Program Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Service Inquiries regarding the Passport Initiative: (416) 780-1106 Ext. 343 Passport Initiative Email: Maggiefa@familyservicetoronto.org Website: https://familyservicetoronto.org/
- Jewish Family & Child Services of Toronto (JF&CS) - Central Location: General Phone: (416) 638-7800 Gordon S. Wolfe Branch: General Phone: (416) 961-9344 York Region Branch: General Phone: (905) 882-2331 Jerome D. Diamond Adolescent Centre: General Phone: (416) 482-3023 Website: http://www.jfandcs.com/
- Family Association for Mental Health Everywhere (F.A.M.E): Main Toronto Office: General Phone: (416) 207-5032 Mississauga Office: General Phone: (905) 276-8316 Brampton Office: General Phone: (905) 488-7716 Scarborough Office: General Phone: (416) 913-2144 Website: http://www.fameforfamilies.com/index.php
- Family Outreach & Response Program: Downtown Office - General Phone: (416) 535-8501 (Executive Director) Karyn Baker: Ext. 2011 (Early Psychosis & Recover Family Coordinator & Web Master) Krista MacKinnon: Ext. 1935 (Youth Engagement Coordinator & Family Recovery Support Worker) Emily Collette: Ext. 1927 Scarborough Office: General Phone: (416) 439-2253 or (416) 439-2221 Website: http://familymentalhealthrecovery.org/
- Family Support Program at Toronto East General - General Phone: (416) 461-2000 (Toronto East General Hospital) General Phone: (416) 461-8272 Website: http://www.tegh.on.ca/bins/content_page.asp?cid=3-24-190-225
- Friends and Advocates Centre North York (F.A.N.Y) - North York Location: General Phone: (416) 391-3910 Email: email@example.com Etobicoke Location: General Phone: (416) 324-9733 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.toronto.com/others/friends-advocates-centre-north-york/
- Jane and Finch Community and Family Centre: General Phone: (416) 663-2733 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.janefinchcentre.org/
International Student Referrals
- For specific referrals contact The College of Psychologists Ontario: General Phone: 1-800-489-8388 or (416) 961-8817 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.cpo.on.ca
- University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP): (UHIP Office) General Phone: (416) 978-0290 Website: http://www.yorku.ca/yorkint/uhip/index.htm
- Dr. A. Ka Tat Tsang: General Phone: (416) 978-5817 4. Dr. Kathleen Lung: General Phone: (905) 489-6688
- Chinese and Southeast Asian Consumers: General Phone: (416) 928-0991
- Emotions Anonymous: General Phone: (416) 281-9364 Email: http://www.emotionsanonymous.org/
- Freedom from Fear Foundation/Outreach – Anxiety Disorders: General Phone: (416) 761- 6006
- Mood Disorders Association of Ontario (MDAO): General Phone: (416) 486-8046 or 1-888-486-8236 Email: email@example.com Website: http://mooddisorders.ca/
- The Canadian Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Network - See the OCD Canada website below for information on other OCD groups in Canada. General Phone: (416) 410-4772 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OCDOntario Website: http://canadianocdnetwork.com/ (OCD Self-Help group of Toronto): Toronto Central – Obsessive Compulsive Anonymous: (Facilitators) Susan & Larry: (416) 925-3011 Email: ocatoronto.gmail.com Website: http://www.obsessivecompulsiveanonymous.org/
Professional Assistance for Trauma & Its Consequences
- Your family doctor or local walk-in clinic -Contact your family doctor of local walk-in for referrals to mental health specialists, counseling services, or medication that suit you needs.
- Sherbourne Health Centre - No referral is required for access to services. Services of the Sherbourne Health Centre are geared toward the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Transsexual, Two-Spirit, Intersex and Queer (LGBTTTIQ) community. Counseling services for anxiety, depression, and substance abuse are free of charge. General Phone: (416) 324-4180 Website: http://sherbourne.on.ca/
- The 519 Church Street Community Center - No referral is required. 519’s mission is to serve the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Transsexual, Two-Spirit, Intersex and Queer (LGBTTTIQ) community in a variety of ways, including making short-term (up to six sessions) counseling services accessible to LGBTTTIQ clients. General Phone: (416) 392-6874 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.the519.org/
- Toronto Rape Crisis Centre – Multicultural Women Against Rape (TRCC/MWAR) - provides both in-person and telephone counseling. Anyone who is/has been a victim of sexual abuse, assault, or harassment is encouraged to contact TRCC/MWAR. Services are free of charge, however, wait time varies. General Phone: (416) 597-1171 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://trccmwar.ca/
- Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Centre (WHIWH) - No referral is required. WHIWH focuses specifically on issues of minority women’s mental and physical health. Medical and mental health services are provided at no cost, however, wait time varies. General Phone: (416) 593-7655 Clinical Services: Ext. 7 Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.whiwh.com/index.php
- Central Toronto Youth Services (CTYS): No referral is required. CTYS offers counseling and other programs/services to youth 19-25 years of age at no cost. CTYS focuses specifically on LGBTTTIQ youth and at risk youth. Wellesley location: General Phone: (416) 924-2100 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Adelaide location: General Phone: (416) 504-6100 or (416) 504-6103 Email: Adelaide@ctys.org York Region location: General Phone: (905) 954-1492 Email: York@ctys.org Website: http://www.ctys.org/
- Anxiety Disorders Clinic (ADC) - Referral is required. ADC offers assessment, consultation, and group treatment at no cost. General Phone: (416) 535-8501 Ext. 6819 Website: http://www.camh.net/about_camh/guide_to_camh/mental_health_programs/mood_and_anxiety_program/guide_anxiety_disorders_clinic.html
- Toronto S.T.A.R.T. Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders - Referral is required. General Phone: (416) 598-9344 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.startclinic.ca/
- Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) -offers information and referral services to connect clients with local mental health services and providers, including private practitioners, library books and videos on mental health issues, as well as various other resources. General Phone: (416) 789-7957 Website: www.toronto.cmha.ca/
- Humber River Regional Hospital (HRRH) - Referral is required. HRRH offers outpatient mental health services at no cost. General Phone: (416) 249-8111 Website: http://www.hrrh.on.ca/default.asp
- North York General Hospital (NYGH) - Referral is not required. General Phone: (416) 756-6642 Website: http://www.nygh.on.ca/
- Dr. Elizabeth Bolger - Private Practice Psychologist General Phone: (416) 487-7475
- Dr. Marsha Rothstein- Private Practice Psychologist General Phone: (416) 413-4900
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Associates of Toronto (CBT Associates): General Phone: (416) 363-4228 (Dr. Densioff) Email: email@example.com (Dr. Farvolden) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.cbtassociates.net/
Resources for Dealing with Trauma, & Managing Anxiety & Mood Problems
Coping with Trauma
Bass, Ellen & Davis, Laura. (1994). The courage to heal: A guide for women survivors of childhood sexual abuse. (3rd Edition). New York, NY: HarperCollins. Blume, E. Sue. (1990). Secret survivors: Uncovering incest and its aftereffect and women. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Brady, Maureen. (1992). Beyond survival: A writing journey for healing childhood sexual abuse. HarperCollins. Desalvo, Louise. (1999). Writing as a way of healing: How telling our stories transforms our lives. USA: Beacon Press Books. Loulan, JoAnn. (1987). Lesbian passion: Loving ourselves and each other. San Francisco: Spinsters Ink. Rosenbloom, Dena & Mary Beth Williams with Watkins, Barbara E. (1999). Life after trauma: A workbook for healing. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
Managing General Worry/Anxiety
White, J. (1999). Overcoming generalized anxiety disorder: A relaxation, cognitive restructuring, and exposure-based protocol for the treatment of GAD. CA: New Harbinger.
Managing Panic Disorder
Zuercher-White, E. (1998). An end to panic: Breakthrough techniques for overcoming panic disorder. CA: New Harbinger.
Managing Social Anxiety
Antony, M. M. & Swinson, R.P. The shyness and social anxiety workbook. CA: New Harbinger. Markway, B.G., Carmin, C.N., Pollard, C.A. & Flynn, T. (1996). Dying of embarrassment. CA: New Harbinger.
Managing Anxiety, Phobias and Depression
Bourne, E.J. (1990). The anxiety and phobia workbook. CA: New Harbinger. Burns, D.D. (1989). The feeling good handbook. New York, NY: Penguin Books. Kabat-Zinn, J. Full catastrophe Living. New York, NY: Bantam Dell.
Managing Obsessions and Compulsions
Foa, E.B. & Wilson, R. (1991) Stop Obsessing: How to overcome your obsessions & compulsions. New York: Bantam Books.
Burns, D.D. (1989). The Feeling Good Handbook. New York: Penguin Books. Greenberger, D. & Padesksy, C.A. (1995). Mind over Mood. New York: Guilford.
Useful Internet Websites
www.anxieties.com Provides information and explanations about anxiety disorders and ways to treat them. Offers free self-help programs for treating anxiety.
www.adaa.org Includes information on various anxiety disorders, including a guide to treatment, and locating a specialist in your area.
www.depressioncenter.net Offers free 16-week self-help CBT program for depression.